Since I had a bit of a moan about the fact that I cannot find clubwear that I like, and with Uproar in the Dam coming up in November, I started concentrating on making some raver dresses.
This can be a bit difficult when you’re also trying to think about your autumn/winter wardrobe. So the next couple of months I will be busy constructing another Burda 6921 (and not to give away too much, but it will be glorious…), deconstructing one of my favourite jumpers to give it new life, making some heavy knit dresses and I am sure I can think of some other shenanigans to keep me busy as well. (Somehow my mind is already torturing itself with the idea of making a corset and tutu skirt with many layers of brightly coloured tulle underneath…)
However, back to the raver dress.
First, what fabric did I use? I have a great love for knits and the pace at which I can make clothes with them. I like making something tailored too (especially jackets), but when it comes to whipping up a quick but flattering dress, nothing beats a nice knit. For this, I used a “bathing suit jersey”, so essentially a Polyamide/Elastane mix. I got it here. No picture can ever do it justice, as it is really shiny and rather iridescent. However, that also means that you can see every little flaw…
Did I use a pattern? Frankly, I do not really use patterns with knits anymore. I have a base pattern for the bodice and skirt, taken from one of my favourite dresses, so that I do not have to measure everything out every time, but I self-draft around it as much as possible. Similarly, you can use any dress pattern made for knits as a base for this kind of thing.) That means, of course, that I cannot really remake any dress in the same way. But then again, I like making little variations every time. I get bored otherwise.
So why do I call this a prototype? I really wanted to try out making one of those dresses with a hoop skirt at the bottom. This was the first time I did it, and to be honest, it is not quite there yet. I used rigilene, which is not quite as firm as boning, but might still work if I encase it in something to make it look a bit more “bubbly”.
Here is the bodice for this particular dress. I completely lined it before attaching it to the skirt. I also ended up putting a dart in the sides for the front.
And here we have the back and side view
There is a definite “Jetsons” feel to this dress, which I don’t mind particularly, but I would still like to bring it more into the here and now. What I really dislike is the wobblyness of the hemline. I think I might shorten it an inch or two. I have already removed the rigilene again in order to alter the hemline and am currently trying to figure out how to give it more shape. Hopefully, I will sort it out soon and get to show you a nice, flawless hoop skirt dress.
I am currently expecting a shipment of different lycra fabrics from the UK (which I ordered in May… the postal services really fucked it up this time), so I will be sure to attempt this again.