Making a pair of “ugg” boot slippers

self-drafted "ugg" boot slippers 3

 

In the last few days, as I sat down to work on making a bag, I realised that it’s been around 10 years since I lived in a small-ish house. This realisation was brought to me by a very bodily feeling, namely that I get a lot colder than I used to. Don’t get me wrong, I grew up in a small house, it used to be perfectly normal for me to wrap up and wear slippers. However, the last place I lived, you could walk around all winter in a T-shirt with the heating barely on. Ah, the luxury…

So I interjected my current work by making myself some slippers. Not that I hadn’t thought about it before, but, seeing that our flat was so warm, I found it quite hard to get motivated to make something I didn’t need.

Self-drafted pattern

Of course, my idea to “quickly” make myself some boot slippers turned into an endeavor that took a day and a half. Most of that was probably due to the fact that making a pattern for shoes, especially if you have never made shoes before, can be quite daunting.

The sole

I started by tracing my feet on cardboard with a pen, which was the quickest and easiest part of the whole pattern-making exercise.

 

tracing my feet for "ugg" boot slippers

 

This turned into the base pattern for the sole. With added seam allowances, I used it for all the necessary sole pieces, of which there were 4 for each foot: 1 outside sole made of vinyl leather, 2x wadding, and 1 lining. Apart from the sole for the lining, I sewed all the others together, layered with the cardboard pieces in between the two sheets of wadding.

 

"ugg" boot slippers sole parts

 

"ugg" boot slippers sole

 

The shoe pattern

I wanted slippers that look a bit like “ugg” boots, so I spent a few hours figuring out how to make that happen. I practised on a really small scale, which turned out to be a good idea for not wasting too much material. I’m not 100% happy with how it scaled up once I added seam allowances and will be sure to alter the pattern, in case I need boot slippers again. I cut the pattern pieces for the wadding and lining longer than for the outside fabric, as I wanted a fur trim at the top.

 

"ugg" boot slippers self-drafted pattern

 

"ugg" boot slippers pattern pieces

 

Sewing the slippers together

I thought it would probably be a good idea to attach the wadding to the outside fabric, so I sewed it on around the edges, inside the seam allowances. Then I sewed the pattern pieces for the shell together, stitching them to the sole in the end.

 

"ugg" boot slippers outside shell

 

"ugg" boot slippers inside of outside shell

 

The lining definitely needed overlocking around the edges. Faux fur tends to make a huge mess when you cut it and this was no exception. Nevertheless, once I had sewn all the lining pieces together, it made me think that I want some furry boot slippers as well. 😉

 

"ugg" bot slippers lining pieces overlocked

 

"ugg" boot slippers fur lining

 

Now it was just a question of turning the lining around and slipping it into the boots. I then simply overlocked it onto the waddin. After turning the fur over twice, I now had the boot slippers I desired.

 

"ugg" boot slippers 5

 

self-drafted "ugg" boot slippers 2

 

self-drafted "ugg" boot slippers 1